Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Music Post (Shortest Post yet!)

The music here in Uganda is like a wonderful combination between American Rap and Reggaeton. People love music and anywhere you go there are speakers pumping loud music into the streets. There are a number of songs you hear over and over, some incomprehensible, some comparing a woman's body to a vuvuzela (what!?), and another one by a very famous Ugandan, the president Yoweri Museveni. Yes, that's right, the President of Uganda has a rap song. And just because I want you experience this bizarre cultural phenomenon, here is the odd/entertaining/painful/helps-explain-why-Uganda-is-where-it-is-today link. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwRfe27Lbb4&feature=player_embedded

Also, crazy advisor update: My academic director received a text from Oliver yesterday. He read it out to me. "Dr. Komakech, I apologize for being out of contact for a long time. I have been hiding in a cave for the past three days because the spies are after me. I did not want to tell the students because I wanted as few people to know as possible." If he really is being chased by spies, I wish him the best. But I have a feeling this is a nice explanation for him to hold on to my money...

NEW ADDITION:

The girls in my group are the stars of a top 20 Ugandan music video. Mary is the "One in a Million." The artist is Simple Man. This is experiential learning at its finest




-Muzungu currently in Gulu, listening to the President's rap and contemplating the erratic actions of a Rwandan advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment