Friday, December 10, 2010

All Good Things Must Come to an End

I have turned in my ISP and I just presented my project to the group yesterday (19 minutes and thirty seconds, yikes). It's time for me to go. Because of the way things worked out with the evacuation from Gulu, our end of trip safari was cancelled. So there is an awkward four or five days to play with. It sounds like SIT isn't providing the money to fund another expedition so Robbie and I have planned an exciting European trip with my friend Andrew from the UK. We are flying out of Uganda tonight and getting into London at 7 in the morning. After a day in London we fly up to Edinburgh and make our way to St. Andrews were I have some friends doing their study abroad. After two days there, if we survive the snow, we fly to Paris for two days to soak up some European culture, and then back to London on the 16th to meet up with my mother dearest.

I have a blog post that I have been working on for my last few days in Uganda and I will probably have a few more with reflections and tales of reintegration and reverse-culture shock that are certainly going to affect me. I might be out of internet range for a while due to my travels but I wish you all the best. I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog. It's been a joy for me to write and I hope it has been equally enjoyable for you to read. I'll keep the posts coming but the end is in sight. Goodbye Uganda, Goodbye Rwanda, it has been a truly incredible experience. The Ugandan saying for "don't burn any bridges" is "Don't up root your pumpkins," I hope I take this advice to heart and keep the relationships I have formed here strong.

I am excited to come home, but incredibly sad to be leaving. I'll keep you posted on my life in the next few weeks. Thanks again for following.

-Muzungu on the way out of East Africa, about to lose his status as a Muzungu

2 comments:

  1. you should now write a book. This blog should cover 120+ pages.

    Love,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your lessons from Uganda, a place of the world that I, and I'm sure others, are not familiar with....enjoy London & Paris and the return back to U.S. Christine

    ReplyDelete