Thursday, September 2, 2010

Well hello there, Uganda

I made it, and so did my bags, so all in all I would consider my trip here a success.

I left New Hampshire on the 1st of September and bid my wonderful grandparents goodbye. My grandfather's parting advice will undoubtedly guide me through these next few months:

"You have been a great grandson so far... don't screw it up now."
Parting shot of Mimi and Grandpa


I spent the night just out side of Boston with my Aunt and Uncle and cousin Jared. Aunt Ann cooked us a magnificent send off feats topped off by some spectacular brownies that I have with me in Uganda as I write (don't count on them lasting too much longer). I left from Boston in the wee hours of the morning, bid a teary adieu to my wonderfully supportive parents, and spent the next six hours on a plane to London with a five-year-old kid kicking the back of my seat the entire way. Two hour turn around in London and off to Entebbe, a flight on which sleep unfortunately evaded me again.

Uganda is beautiful. I unfortunately did not get any pictures of my descent into the country but take my word for it, magnificent rolling hills, green all the way to the horizon and Lake Victoria is simply majestic. As we landed I could see the little wood and reed fishing boats beginning (or ending) their fishing rounds for the day. Immigration was a breeze. I had made a reservation with a hotel named, appropriately might I add, the Airport View Hotel (AVH). They had promised to pick me up and take me the 10 minutes to the hotel. I couldn't find them at first and I was set upon by particularly persistent cab drivers who insisted that they weren't coming to get me and that for a mere $10 US they would happily take me to the AVH. Fortunately my unusually stubborn attitude (must have been the lack of sleep) won out and the AVH people finally found me.

I am now enjoying the benefits of their free Internet (yay) and soon their bed as I am exhausted.

That's it for me now. Sleep beckons. Please do comment on the post if there are certain things you wish to hear about or certain things your really don't. This is my first time taking on a blog so any feedback is good feedback. Thanks.

-Mzungu currently in the Airport View Hotel in Entebbe, Uganda.

p.s. I don't understand why they don't call it the Victoria View Hotel, it has a pretty solid view of Lake Victoria and I feel like that might have a better ring to it? Call me crazy but...

Oh, and... Mosquito net! Take that malarious mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment